Friday 17 May 2013

Building a twin neck guitar - part 1: Out of the box


Building My New Guitar


So, I'm going to build a guitar. I might as well blog about it.

For the start I might as well go over the starting point .... what arrived in the box.

I decided to do this for three reasons. The first is because it's be a good project to keep me away from my PS3 and computer. The second is because the young boy my wife and I are hoping to adopt would be really interested on how the guitar would be put together and how it works. Hopefully it will be a bonding thing. Thirdly ...... I WANT A TWIN NECK GUITAR!

So what's in the box?


The Two Necks


My comments would be the same for both the 6 and 12 string necks. They are very surprisingly nice. They have what seems like really playable surfaces. They are really good, apart from the Nut. Obviously very cheap and set WAY too high.

The edge of the neck at the nut is a bit rough, but I'll smooth that out when I replace the nut.

It may be that I end up replacing the necks, but they seem good enough for me :0)

12 String Neck






6 String Neck







The Body

One word: stunning!

It may be just because it't the body of a twin neck V, but the body just works for me. There are a couple of small issues with it. The cavities for the electrics seem pretty snug. Also, the neck inserts are at an angle, so I'll need to level them out. No biggie. Was going to extend one of the cavities to put in a third switch anyway. 








The Metal Bits

The metal/chrome parts are surprisingly better than expected.

The bridges are actually pretty good. They'll do the job. I expected light tinny bit's of crap, but no ... they're OK.



The machine heads are OK. No better. They seem OK enough. Again .. they'll do the job for now.



The strap nuts seem too small. They will definitely be getting replaced! I don't trust 'em.



The neck plates come with rubber backings, which is great for such a soft wood. The actual plates are quite light and tinny. Will probably be replaced by custom jobs.


Electrics

Yeah ... the electrics ... m'eh.
The pickups will NEVER get anywhere near my new guitar. 


The pots MIGHT be OK, but I'll see. The capacitors will be replaced by Orange drops.
The switches seem good, so will put them in and see how they go. They are very tights and should work well.

The jack sockets looks like it's OK.


Other Bits

The pack came with a few other bits. There's an audio cable; will never be used. There's cavity covers; may be used. There's strings; will be used for setting up. There's rod covers; probably replaced.



So ....

There we go. That's what's in the box. There's everything you need to build a working guitar. Needs tweaked a bit, bit hopefully will turn out OK.

The next part will be marking out any changes needed to the woodwork,

Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment